Emotional Freedom Technique
Emotional Freedom Technique
EFT was one of the very first techniques I discovered when I was finding my way out of chronic anxiety and panic attacks. I highly recommend it and find my clients enjoy having another powerful tool to help them achieve their goals. This is a very personal and powerful technique and one I am sure you will be able to find much relief with.
What is EFT?
It stands for emotional freedom technique and it is a specific algorithm within meridian tapping points. Essentially, you tap on nine acupressure points on your body. As you tap and focus on what is bothering you soon you are able to experience an internal shift. This allows you to have the same thought but release the negativity associated with it. So, you can think about the same issue such as being stressed, overwhelmed, panicked but feel differently. It takes the charge out of it, affords you space to think objectively and this allows you to become more empowered, peaceful and to create new thoughts and responses.
How does this technique work?
Current research shows us that when we are feeling stressed the brain can interpret this as a feeling of being threatened or in danger. This occurs in the part of your brain called the amygdala. This response then puts us into a flight or fight mode. So, instantly and instinctively we react. Our body responds with increased heart rate, tense muscles, uncomfortable feelings and adrenaline releases in our body. This may have served us if we were being chased by a lion in prehistoric times but now in our current modern life it is very taxing to our body. Stress is no joke as it can have detrimental effects on our bodies. Having a tool to reduce stress reactions can help to increase your overall well being and quality of life. Tapping on the end points of the meridian sends a calming signal directly to the amygdala. This allows your brain and body begin to self regulate by realizing it is safe now and there is no threat. Interestingly, while doing this tapping and focusing on the stressful thought or situation it neutralizes the stress response. Overtime and with continued practice we begin to reprogram our response to perceived stress. This is a powerful technique to help shift us from one state to another.
Perhaps you are still unsure if this is for you? I recommend just trying it and experiencing for yourself what thousands have already discovered about EFT.
The meridian lines in your body run equal on both sides. It won’t matter which side you tap on or which hand you use. I recommend using both hands and both sides as you do this, but be sure to adjust to the most comfortable position for you.
So where are the points?
The set up or Karate point is on the outside soft part of your hand.
The next point is the eyebrow point just where your eyebrow meets your eye socket.
Side of the eye you can follow the eyebrow bone done and this point is on the side of the eye not the temple.
The next is under the eye just follow that bone around to you finds the center under the eye.
Then under your nose and above your top lip in the center.
From there you will drop to your chin under you bottom lip and center in the crease of your chin.
The collar bone is the next point and these points are centered near where a man’s bowtie would be.
Then under the arms about a hands width distance from the arm pit for most women it will be where your bra strap lies.
You finish each sequence at the very top of the head.
So it goes like this….
- Set Up Karate Chop Point
- Above the eye
- Side of the eye
- Under the eye
- Under the nose
- Collar Bone
- Top of the head
Ready? Give it a try and see what you experience…
- The first thing we do is find our SUDS number this means subjective units of distress. Begin by Identifying the uncomfortable feeling, physical discomfort, defeating belief or distressing thought and find your SUDS number. This is a number between 1 and 10 with 10 being the most uncomfortable, in pain or upset you have ever been. This will help you measure how much success you are experiencing and give you a way to measure your progress. So this allows you to experience just how significant this process can be.
- So now you need to begin with your set up statement and begin at your Karate Chop Point on the side of your hand. You begin with a self-accepting affirmation phrase such as…
- Even though, (and you can fill in your issue such as I am stressed, I feel alone, my back really hurts) I deeply and profoundly accept myself.
- Now begin moving through the points stating the distressing thought or feeling only. Example: I am stressed top of the eye, I am stressed side of the eye, I am stressed under the eye, I am stressed under the nose, I am stressed chin, I am stressed collar bone and finally I am stressed top of the head. Do this again for a total of two passes. Check your suds level, did it shift, did it lighten?
- Now if you had a shift change your set up statement to, Even though I still have some (fill in your issue) I deeply accept myself and run through the points again. Keep moving through until you reach a zero or wholeness within yourself.
This serves as a general overview of EFT and is not meant to diagnose or treat any illness or disease. Please consult your physician before attempting this on any diagnosed condition. Please secure a referral or prescription for hypnosis for working on diagnosed medical conditions with Beth A. Snyder, CCHt.